Mercadante Stabile Theatre - Naples
The Mercadente Theatre was originally called the "Teatro del Fondo", named after the military society that built it in 1778 with the confiscated proceeds of the dissolved Jesuit order.
It was opened in 1779 with Giovamattista's opera, 'L'infedele Fedele', with music by the maestro Cimarosa.
It was not until 1870 that the theatre became the Mercadente Theatre in homage to the musician of the same name who was educated in Naples.
Dedicated specifically to opera, it played an active role in the political and cultural changes introduced by the Partenopean Republic in 1799.
With the Restoration, it regained its operatic function when it welcomed musicians such as Rossini, Bellini, Doninzetti and Verdi.
In 1914 it held a controversial, futuristic soiree organised by Marinetti and later, his great protagonists were Marta Abba and Luigi Pirandello.
Restoration works were carried out between 1920 and 1938.
In 1936 the ceiling was adorned with a painting in tempera by Francisco Galante called 'Napoli Marinara'.
In 1963 it was closed as it was structurally unstable, finally being restored by the town council in 1979.
Between 1980 and 1990 there was a varied programme; from 1995 to the present day there have been some interesting theatrical themes proposed by Naples town council and other bodies that have helped to increase cultural awareness in the city.
Naples, Piazza Municipio 1 (in front of "Castel Nuovo - Maschio Angioino")
Box Office Theatre
Book and buy all Theatre performance tickets in Hotel for all Opera Season.
Moreover, this service is available in advance before the arrival in the Hotel; our guests will receive the tickets directly at the Reception.
How you can get there from the Hotel
From Piazza Amedeo take the bus n° C25 and get off at Piazza Municipio stop: the Mercadante Stabile Theatre is in front of Castel Nuovo, also known as the "Maschio Angioino".